St Andrews has now registered with the Parish Giving Scheme (PGS) to administrate the donations it receives through regular and one-off giving. Previously donations were received after the completion of a form and processing by the church’s Gift Aid Officer.
How it works
Givers can set up a Direct Debit with PGS online or over the phone. This can be made on a monthly, quarterly or annual basis. Each gift is restricted to a parish church chosen by the giver and cannot be used elsewhere. The gift will be passed back to the church of the giver’s choosing by 10th of the month. Any eligible Gift Aid will be sent separately once it has been received from HMRC.
A unique feature of the scheme is the option for the giver to commit in principle to increase their gift annually in line with inflation. This is entirely at the giver’s discretion on an opt-in basis, but it is proving popular – with more than 55% of the cash received currently index-linked.
Benefits of PGS
This secure and simple method of giving serves givers and churches in many ways.
The individual benefits from:
- Retaining control of how much they give, how often and to which church
- Using a simple giving method that means regular financial support to their church
- The option to increase giving annually to protect their gift against inflation
- Anonymity, if preferred
- Peace of mind that the Direct Debit Guarantee Scheme protects their gifts
The church benefits from:
- Stable and often increased planned giving
- Efficient and regular reclaim of Gift Aid, improving cashflow
- Protection against static giving, by offering givers the option to index-link their gift
- The administrative cost of operating the scheme is covered by each member diocese, making the service free to use for churches and givers.
What do I need to do?
- Set up a regular giving arrangement by going online to https://www.parishgiving.org.uk/donors/find-your-parish/boreham-st-andrew-chelmsford/
Call the PGS on 0333 002 1271, Monday – Friday 9-5pm, quoting St Andrew’s PGS code 179022
- You can decide if your gift is collected monthly, quarterly or annually, and whether your gift increases in line with inflation (your choice to make and it can be cancelled) You can also decide if you want your gift to be anonymous.
- Once your arrangement has been set up, cancel your current standing order with your own bank (PGS are unable to do this for you)
For further information for donors, please visit
Thank you for your generosity!